CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Soldier Girl

I was at the mall today with my 2yo and 5yo, doing, what else, a little Christmas shopping. A young woman in an army uniform (fatigues) was in front of us on the escalator. I was juggling m 2yo, and carrying two heavy bags plus all our coats, and trying to keep my 5yo off the escalator railing. When we got to the top, I told my 5yo we needed to say thank you to the soldier. So we re-balanced the packages (and the toddler), and by then, the soldier was gone.

Mini-me (my 5yo) has eagle eyes, however, and noticed which store she and her (civilian) friends went in. So we followed her. She walked faster than I could, and it took us a bit to catch up to her. When we did, I stopped her, and thanked her. I thanked her for the service she is giving her country, and the service she thereby gives MY family.

She thanked ME, for thanking her. By this time, my heart (and eyes) was too full, so I thanked her again, and left before I stated bawling in the clothing store.

When we headed out to the car, Mini-me asked what we thanked her for. How do you explain all that our servicemen and women risk by putting on that uniform? I told her that soldiers work very hard to protect the rest of us from people that hate us, simply because they don't like our country. That sometimes they have to fight, and sometimes they get hurt, or even die. But that they do it for ALL OF US, because they love their country.

I cannot pass a fireman or a soldier, without my heart swelling with thanks. It's almost embarrassing, because I know if I try to explain how grateful I am for them, I just might start blubbering.

It may seem like just another job to you. But I am profoundly aware of the risk they take, by the very nature of their "jobs". They literally put their life on the line. Not quite the same thing as risking a paper cut, in my previous jobs. Aside from the two crazy people (different jobs) that security had to be notified about, and the trouble makers on the midnight bus I had to ride home from downtown, I have always had very safe jobs. And there was no expectation of danger of any kind.

No, it is a VERY different thing to go to work, KNOWING that the VERY NATURE of your job may require you to give up your own life, for someone you don't even know. That's the very definition of a hero, as far as I am concerned. Even if they never see combat, a soldier is already a hero, the minute they put on that uniform (and likely long before, given the character one would expect in a soldier).

And a fireman exists for the sole purpose of rescuing other people. How can that not move you with gratitude?

Mini-Me and LittleBit may not comprehend everything I said to them today. And they may not understand (for many years, at least) why Mommy cries when she sees soldiers and firemen. But someday they will. Someday, they will understand the difference between wolves and Sheepdogs. And that every single one of them, deserves our respect.

When I got to the car, and got the kids buckled into their car seats, I called my favorite soldier, to say thanks.

0 comments: